After Jorge died, I spent a while gathering memories from every corner of the house, as though they were dirty clothes, stuffing them into a laundry basket in the hope that one day I would take them out, wash them, hang them in the sun, iron them, and perhaps wear them again... the way you would an old shirt, worn thin but comfortable. But it was a false hope. It didn't work.
The sadness that soaked into me was so overwhelming that the house
became a prison, and every minute began to resemble the kind that measure out a
life sentence, sordid instants that, added together, make you long for the
death penalty, for the end of the torment. I wandered from room to room,
dragging my feet, picking up an object only to put it back exactly where it had
been, making sure it hadn't shifted by so much as a millimeter. I drew up
several pointless inventories and discovered that ceramics and ivory carvings
can possess more life than a human being—especially when that human being has
been wounded, when pain has lodged in the flesh like a poison that leaves you
paralyzed.
But I had to do something to keep from sinking completely, so, urged on
by relatives and friends, I forced myself to act. I got into the habit of
walking through the neighborhood every day, retracing the streets Jorge and I
had walked together so many times. I walked and walked, absentmindedly taking
in gardens and façades, cafés, parks, shops, monuments. But I found no pleasure
in it. It was pleasant enough, gentle enough, yet before long I realized it was
actually safer to stay indoors, because every street corner ended up feeling
like a punch to the jaw delivered by memories—those blessed and cursed
memories...
So I gave up my walks and spent my mornings, afternoons, and evenings
watching television, my mind completely blank, with no interest whatsoever in
what I was seeing. What was I supposed to do? Move away? The mere thought of
packing up the house paralyzed me. Every object seemed like a one-way ticket to
nostalgia, an invitation to melancholy. A dear friend suggested I join a social
club where people met one another. Maybe I'd find a man and rebuild my life.
Rebuild my life? My life wasn't in ruins. It had simply ceased to exist. It had
become nothing more than an enormous empty hole.
Autumn was bleak, and winter was unbearable. I think I read twenty
novels, bored with television, and watched a thousand idiotic programs, weary
of absurd stories in which people suffered problems far greater and more
painful than mine, only to solve them with an ease that frightened me. With no
financial worries, no children who needed me, no grandchildren to love, I kept
sinking into the mire, forgotten in the middle of a desolate land no one ever
crossed.
Did I cry? I cried until there were no tears left, until I finally
convinced myself that crying would accomplish nothing, that Jorge wasn't coming
back, and that I lacked the courage to go looking for him. That was when the
crushing weight of my lack of faith made itself felt. If only I could imagine
some place beyond life where he might be waiting for me.
September was no better than August, and October was worse than any
month of any year. The hours stretched on with the elastic cruelty of fictional
monsters, and my desperate need to leave the house became entangled with my
inability to step outside it. I swung back and forth like a pendulum, torn in
two, bewildered, stunned like a rabbit frozen in the glare of headlights. Isn't
there any way out? There isn't, I answered the question that didn't need
asking.
And yet, shortly before Christmas, I locked up the house and left for
the beach. At first I didn't really know why I was going, although perhaps, in
some hidden corner of my mind, I imagined that putting some distance between
myself and the familiar places and objects would allow me to see things
differently.
It wasn't true. What I was really searching for was a moment Jorge and I
had shared three years earlier.
I was looking for that instant of magical apprehension when, seated on
the steps of an improvised amphitheater, we watched a young pair of acrobats
perform. That summer, cradled by the perfect, desolate strains of the Adagietto
from Mahler's Fifth Symphony, they spun and soared around a metal frame,
tangling themselves in colorful silks, plunging toward the abyss before rising
again like neurotic birds. Throughout the performance, Jorge and I sat hand in
hand, hearts in our mouths, imagining a love story marked by hardship and
separation. The life of wandering performers, we used to say. We went to
see them every night during what turned out to be our last summer at the beach,
though we had no idea then that death was already stalking us, preparing the
gift it would hand us after many months of suffering. We kept returning because
we had both fallen a little in love with those acrobats, brushing with our
fingertips against almost fifty years unraveled from the fabric of time. Call
me a masochist if you like—I won't be offended. I wanted to see them again, to
recover one fragment of the past I had shared with Jorge.
That didn't work either.
The square was full of clowns, fools with guitars and harmonicas, chess
players, puppeteers—but they weren't there.
How foolish of me, I thought. What made me believe they'd
still be performing in the same place three years later, flying and spinning
through the air to Mahler's sublime music? There are so many beaches.
I left the square and walked toward the sea. Summer was drawing to a
close. Before long the exodus would begin; silence and emptiness would win the
battle. On the piers, where only a handful of fishermen moved about, everything
echoed my desolation. I followed the promenade toward the harbor, away from the
crowded center, searching the gathering dusk for my lost ghost.
But Jorge wasn't there, of course.
My fantasies would remain exactly that—shadows condemned to stay locked
away in their chests, necklaces made of nothing, birds of foam dissolving into
the night.
I leaned against the stone balustrade and let my tears flow without the
slightest embarrassment. No one could see me anyway. And even if someone did, I
thought... who cares about an old woman crying for the man she loved? Once
again the irretrievable nature of it all overwhelmed me, but this time I
offered no resistance. This was how it would be until the end, and for the
first time I wished that end would not take too long.
It took me a moment to notice that, a few yards away, a juggler was
tossing clubs into the air with remarkable skill but no enthusiasm whatsoever.
No one was watching him, and it struck me as odd that he kept throwing and
catching them, throwing and catching them, mechanically repeating the same
routine.
Then he stopped.
He gathered up the clubs and walked straight toward me.
"I've been waiting for you," he said.
"For me?" My bewilderment was genuine.
He was the acrobat—the young man who had once hung from that metal
frame, sending his partner soaring among crimson and golden silks, catching her
hand or letting go so she would plunge toward the void before lifting her once
again into their mad, endless choreography. It was undoubtedly him.
But waiting for me?
We had never exchanged a single word. He couldn't possibly remember me.
I had been just another shadow among the audience, hypnotized by the music and
the flight of their bodies.
"Yes," he said. "Why not? Mahler fell silent, you know.
The music stopped. There's no Adagietto playing in the square anymore. I
couldn't hold on to her... and she fell from twenty-three feet."
I covered my mouth with my hand and stifled a sob. I had no idea what to
say.
He did.
"I was left alone too, you see."
El cuento en castellano: https://microficcionesycuentos.blogspot.com/2026/07/vuelos.html

No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario